You know, Feminist
News Flash! I'm a Feminist.
I would wager that most closet feminists were like me. They shunned the negative connotations of the "F" word... they fitted themselves with alternative terms (such as Equalist), they did just about anything to deny that they were a feminist. Maybe, just maybe, they were like me and they truly believed that they were indeed not a feminist.
- Breastfeeding women were shamed for not feeding modestly (check out one mother's rad response here)
- Songs like this happen
- The Class of DDS 2015 Gentlemen
- A judge sentences a rapist based on the fact that the 14year old victim "seemed older than her chronological age."
- Truck decal featuring a woman bound and tied.
- Todd Adkin on conception from rape: "The female body has ways to try and shut that whole thing down."
- Women Against Feminism (not realizing the irony behind the fact that without feminism they wouldn't have the voice to share their dissent towards feminism)
Feminism: What is it?
Feminism is a multi-disciplinary approach to sex and gender equality understood through social theories and political activism. Historically, feminism has evolved from the critical examination of inequality between the sexes to a more nuanced focus on the social and performative constructions of gender and sexuality.
Feminist theory now aims to interrogate gender inequalities and to effect change in areas where gender and sexuality politics create power imbalances. Intellectual and academic discussion of these inequalities allows our students to go into the world aware of injustices and to work toward changing unhealthy gender dynamics in any scenario.
Feminist political activists campaign in areas such as reproductive rights, domestic violence, gay marriage, and workplace issues such as family medical leave, equal pay, and sexual harassment and discrimination.
Anytime stereotyping, objectification, infringements of human rights, or gender- or sexuality-based oppression occurs, it's a feminist issue.
Source for "Feminism: What is it?": http://wgs.eku.edu/what-feminism-0
So, here I am... in all my Feminist glory proudly embracing the "F" word - FEMINIST